We often think about our physical and mental health–but what about our intellectual health? Intellectual health is creating sustainable health and happiness. It is what pushes us forward, empowers us to learn from life experiences, and think critically as we navigate. Supporting intellectual development expands your knowledge and skills, reduces stress at work, and can lead to a more stimulating, engaging life! So how do you support your intellectual health while working remotely?
Read on for some creative ideas.
Here are some intellectually healthy habits as a whole
- Develop a love for learning and exploration
- Believe that you are always capable of doing more
- View challenges as opportunities for growth
- Always take ownership and responsibility for learning
How to increase your intellectual wellness on your time
- Learn a new language
- Do jigsaws & crossword puzzles
- Paint, draw, or work with clay
- Now is a perfect time to pick up a new creative pursuit! Even if you don’t have many art supplies around the house, you likely have everything you need to create a collage, or perhaps some house paint could create a patterned accent wall in your home. The opportunities are endless, and the internet has an idea for everything. Explore Pinterest for inspiration.
- Pick up a book purely because it interests you! Find a period of history that’s fascinating to you and read about it, dive into a fascinating autobiography about a businessperson you admire, or simply select a novel with a title that draws you in. Finding the balance between educational reading and reading for the joy of it means that you’ll stimulate your intellectual curiosity while also enjoying yourself.
- Write in a journal
- Play board or card games
- They’ll keep your mind engaged–and you entertained! Virtual chess is available online if you can’t convince your family to play along with you. Hosting a virtual trivia night on Zoom for your remote coworkers is a fun way to spend a night. Or download an app such as Houseparty to play games with your friends and colleagues via your phone.
- Learn to play an instrument
- Learn to cook complex dishes
- While some groceries may be in short supply, getting creative in the kitchen can be a great way to engage your brain–with a delicious end result! You may have extra time in the evenings while working remotely, so spend some of that time perfecting your signature dish, following a complicated baking recipe, or creating something you haven’t tried before. Whether you choose to make pasta from scratch or a three-tier cake, you’ll be engaged and learning the whole time! Using your free time to be creative, will help reduce stress at work during your “on” hours.
How to grow your intellectual wellness while working
Ask for new tasks at work
If there’s something you’ve always wanted to learn how to do at work but it’s not part of your duties, ask if you can help with that activity while your team is working remotely! As long as you can still accomplish your own tasks, helping a coworker out for an hour or two a week while also learning a new skill can boost your engagement at work, build new relationships within your team, reduce stress at work, and challenge your abilities.
Pick up a physical challenge
Learning how to do a new physical activity can both benefit your physical health and challenge your mind! Complex rules in sports such as cricket, intricate sequences in yoga, and new ways of moving your body in rock climbing all require you to use your intellect and learn new skills. While some sports are not currently as accessible, we have virtual yoga sessions that are perfect for remote learning. Try yoga with our talented instructors for an interesting new experience and to support your intellectual growth.
Join a Virtual Conference
Many amazing conferences are shifting their offerings online. You’ll still hear great speakers, share ideas and network with top minds in your industry–virtually! This can be a great way to make connections and spark creativity while working remotely. Keeping your working hours engaging can reduce work stress and keep yourself engaged with your job.
Challenging your mind and staying engaged with the world around you is especially important in times like these when many teams are working remotely! Support your holistic health with activities for your intellectual wellbeing.
Ask your company to get an EAP and provide employees 24/7 access to onsite and guided:
- guided meditation
- counseling for anxiety and stress
- life coaching
- nutrition coaching
- personal training
… and so much more with Nivati’s un-eap!
THE MANAGER TRAINING HANDBOOK
The one-stop employee mental health guide for managers! Get a deep dive into common mental health struggles and how to help you employees heal.