Happy Earth Day 2021!
This Thursday is a great opportunity to reflect on the beauty of the planet and ways we can help take care of it.
Earth Day 2021 is also a good day to take care of our own mental wellness.
Being in nature is one of the best stress management strategies out there! Experiencing nature helps restore the mind, which in turn contributes to improved work performance and higher levels of work satisfaction.
In this article, you’ll learn how being in nature helps our mental wellbeing. Also, you’ll find some activities you can do this Earth Day (or any day, for that matter!) by yourself or with your company for stress management and to boost mental wellbeing.
How can nature benefit my mental wellbeing?
We are made to be in nature. With millions of Americans working desk jobs indoors, it is even more important to spend time outside!
Being outside has many benefits, including:
- Improved mood
- Reduced stress and increased relaxation
- Increase in physical activity
According to a Harvard study, people that walked in a natural setting instead of an urban one for 90 minutes experienced a lower activity in the prefrontal cortex of the brain – the area of the brain that is active when we ruminate on negative emotions or repetitive thoughts.
We are constantly being bombarded by information from our devices. Being in nature provides a much-needed break from information overload and screen time.
Being connected to nature can help us connect socially, stay active, and manage stress – all key factors to our mental wellbeing.
The less stressed we are, the more productive we can be. It is so important to take breaks – being in nature is a great way to take care of yourself.
Earth Day 2021 Activity Ideas
Here are some things you can do this Earth Day to take care of your mental wellness and the planet!
- Take a hike at a national park
- Take a walk
- Garden or do yard work
- Go biking
- Do a beach cleanup
- Kayak, swim, or paddleboard
- Go for a run in your local park
- Draw or paint something that is in your yard
- Read a book outside
- Write outside
- Have a picnic with friends and/or coworkers
- Do yoga or meditate outside
At Nivati, our employees love to mountain bike, run, ski, swim, hike, and so much more!
Earth Day 2021 Activity Ideas for Companies
Company Earth Day activities are a great way to boost employee morale – and take care of the planet!
Here are some things your company can do to celebrate Earth Day.
- Volunteer together. Pick up trash at a local park or around your office. You could even volunteer to help maintain a local nature preserve!
- Reward your customers for going green. Offer to give employees a small bonus if they bring some recyclables into work or bring their own lunch instead of eating out.
- Raise money or start a fundraiser to support a green cause in your community.
- Go on a hike together.
- Encourage employees to work outside for the day.
Looking for more inspiration? Check out some other employee morale ideas.
Support Employee Mental Health with Nivati
Looking to build a culture that makes mental health a priority? You’ve found the right place!
We have been helping transform company cultures for 11+ years by providing massage and mental health services. We are passionate about helping people with their mental wellbeing and physical health so they can work hard and play hard!
Want to see how Nivati can help your employees? Give us a call at 1 (800) 556-2950.